Thursday, October 8, 2009

Do The Math

I know I have the choice.  If I don't wish to watch TV news, I can change the channel or shut off the TV.

I know I am not here to save anyone.  Each of us has the right to think and feel whatever we desire, smart or dumb, love or hate, right or wrong...you get the drift.

You know a "but" is imminent?

BUT...as I watched a newscaster report (and I don't blame the newscaster so much 'cuz they read what they are told to) the most current unemployment stat, I couldn't help but think about the math.

If (to use round numbers) 9% of our nation is unemployed, that means 91% are employed.

If through the natural rhythm of life, "normal" (whatever that is) unemployment is 4% (rounding, again) then unemployment has only increased 5% out of a possible 96% increase.  Now I don't know what percentage of increase that actually is because I don't wish to do the math.  I'm just thinking it is probably not a big number.

Let's also say that with 300 million people in our country and let's say half could be employed (150 million...that math I can do easy), 4% unemployment means six million people at any given time are normally unemployed and now 13.5 million people are unemployed.

It also means that over 130 million people still have jobs.

What if they reported that math, too? 

I think of it the way I used to think it must only be good to give because that is what all the spirituality people talk about...giving.  No mention of receiving.  What if we were only a world of givers?  Who would we give to?  No one would want what you have to give, as they only can give but can't receive.   It's sort of like saying inhaling is good.  Exhaling, not so much!  What if we only inhaled?

What I'm getting at is before you allow yourself to get into fear about losing your job, think about the math (or get caught up in the next "flu" virus the press seems so thrilled to report and spread).  If you have a 9% chance of losing with a 91% chance of keeping your job, in Vegas I believe those are odds most betting people would be thrilled about.

No comments:

Post a Comment